Subscribe to blog
- Assessment (3)
- Career (11)
- Character / Learning Skills (4)
- Bullying (1)
- Computers (3)
- Financial Literacy (2)
- General (105)
- Grade 7 (72)
- 7 Geography (18)
- 7 History (12)
- 7 Math (19)
- Grade 8 (41)
- 8 Geography (30)
- Economics (2)
- Human (22)
- Migration (4)
- 8 History (5)
- 8 Geography (30)
- Language (68)
- Debate (9)
- Fairy Tales (8)
- Film Study (10)
- Freedom Writers (3)
- Literature Circles (1)
- Media (11)
- Non-fiction Text (4)
- Play Writing (2)
- Poetry (3)
- Reading (8)
- Writing (9)
- Motivational (4)
- Parent/Guardian (7)
- Planners (70)
- Special Occasion (3)
- Tests & Assignments (1)
- News Broadcast – Self-Evaluation Form
- Book Talk Anchor Chart
- Book Talks
- How to: Recording and sharing video
- News Broadcast Learning Goals, Success Criteria and Checklists!
- BBC Resources for Making a News Broadcast
- Newspaper Article Rubric
- Journalism & Quotations
- Homework: Newspaper article analysis due Monday
- Newspaper Learning Goal
- browa6321 on Ideas for Term 2: Be persuasive
- neekd6753 on Ideas for Term 2: Be persuasive
- heppj5141 on Ideas for Term 2: Be persuasive
- Ben S. from 7-1 on Ideas for Term 2: Be persuasive
- wider4943 on Ideas for Term 2: Be persuasive
May 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: Flipped Novel Study
8-7 – Chapter 4 – Flipped
In the past two chapters, we learn about the sycamore tree from both Juli’s and Bryce’s perspectives. What are some themes of chapters 3/4?
Answer one of the following questions:
1. Write about a time when you:
- a) stood up for someone, or
- b) wanted to stand up for someone, but didn’t.
- What happened?
- Why did you want to stand up for it / Why was it important?
- How your action/inaction make you feel?
2. Explain Juli’s love of the sycamore tree.
3. Make a connection to the story.
a) Juli’s relationship to her father
b) Juli’s feelings of loneliness.
c) Do you have a magic place?
4. Explain Juli’s dad’s expressions “The sum is great than it’s parts.” And “Lighting is everything,” in relation to the movie and in relation to yourself.
Posted in Flipped Novel Study, Grade 8 Leave a comment
8-7 – Flipped Chapter 3 – Buddy, Beware!
Type up your answers in Google Drive in the English folder.
- Be sure to have a proper topic sentence, supporting evidence, and concluding thought.
- Check for capitals (names, places, etc.), punctuation, and run on sentences.
- Have a friend read it out loud to you. Make any necessary changes.
- What is the biggest change that happened in Bryce’s life during seventh grade? What was so strange about it? (analyze)
- Why did Juli make the front page of the local paper?
- Write the simile that Bryce used to describe his attempt at climbing the tree.
- DESCRIBE the change that took place in Bryce’s mind about Juli and EXPLAIN when and why it occurred. (analyze, inference).
- Describe the first conversation that Bryce has with his grandfather. What is it about? Why does it upset Bryce so much? (analyze, inference)
- DESCRIBE Bryce’s grandfather’s overall impression of Juli. Where did he get that impression of her from? (analyze, inference)
Posted in Flipped Novel Study, Grade 8, Language, Reading, Writing Leave a comment