Subscribe to blog
- Assessment (3)
- Career (11)
- Character / Learning Skills (4)
- Bullying (1)
- Computers (3)
- Financial Literacy (2)
- General (105)
- Grade 7 (72)
- Grade 8 (41)
- Language (68)
- Motivational (4)
- Parent/Guardian (7)
- Planners (70)
- Special Occasion (3)
- Tests & Assignments (1)
- News Broadcast – Self-Evaluation Form
- Book Talk Anchor Chart
- Book Talks
- How to: Recording and sharing video
- News Broadcast Learning Goals, Success Criteria and Checklists!
- BBC Resources for Making a News Broadcast
- Newspaper Article Rubric
- Journalism & Quotations
- Homework: Newspaper article analysis due Monday
- Newspaper Learning Goal
Monthly Archives: October 2013
Dance Mat Typing
Welcome to Dance Mat Typing, an introduction to touch typing for children aged 7 – 14 years. Each of the 4 levels are divided into 3 stages. Begin at Level 1 and build up your skills gradually through to Level 4. Make your way through all 12 stages and you can be a top typist.
I am learning to create a persuasive essay
- My writing appeals to my target audience (CARAS)
- My introductions “hook” my audience, using an analogy they can relate to
- E.g., first time opening your music case and seeing your instrument
- I clearly state my thesis in my introduction
- Laurentian derserves this grant because…
- I provide three reasons to support my thesis
- I provide proof using facts to support each reason
- use facts supported by personal experiences, whenever possible)
- I use “high impact” images that reinforce my reasons
- Describe and then refute the key points of the opposing view
- Can you think of any reason why CARAS might not award the grant to Laurentian?
- I use persuasive words to emphasize my points
- E.g., must, love, always, absolutely, never, etc…
- My summary restates and reinforces my thesis and supporting evidence.
- Persuasive Writing mini unit
- learning goal – persuasive writing for music grant
- Music persuasive Essay – graphic organizer
- music program criteria – persuasive letter
- persuasive writing learning check list 7G
- persuasive writing learning check list
- Upload your essay here:
Banking in Canada
Banking in Canada is considered to be very safe and efficient. Bank branches and ATMs (automated teller machines, sometimes called ABMs – automated banking machines) are readily available across the country. Internet banking, direct debit and telephone banking is also commonplace across Canada. It is normal and fairly essential to have a bank account in Canada, not only for salaries to be paid into, but also in order to connect to utility services such as telephone, gas and electricity.
Summarizing and Synthesizing
Strategic readers identify the most important ideas and restate them in their own words.
- The text is mainly about ___.
- The author’s most important ideas were ___.
- The details I need to include are . . .
- Some important concepts are . . .
- The most important evidence was . . .
- The basic gist . . .
- The key information is . . .
- In a nutshell this says that . . .
- text to text
- text to self
- text to world
Laurentian hosted a wonderful career day today, thanks to the hard work and organization of Mr. Shaver. Students were able to listen to four presentations, each with a different professional. The topics included:
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Marine Mechanic
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Municipal Government
- Event Mangement
- Funeral Services
- Graphic Design
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Interior Design
- Real Estate
Tell us what your favourite presentation was and why! Some of the topics we brainstormed about in class included:
- Voice: expression, volume…
- Audience: addressing audience interests, needs and concerns
- Body Language: eye contact, etc.
- connecting/involving the audience
- free stuff!
A Rocky Succession
Natural succession and Reclamation are two ways of nurturing an artificially or naturally damaged ecosystem back to health. Follow our rock as he experiences the natural succession around Mt. St. Helen’s after it erupts in 1980, and helps teach a young ecologist how he can reclaim disturbed land. http://www.wonderville.ca/A_Rocky_Succession
To watch the video behind the school firewall, click here.